Welcome, Guest
Video Game Fact(s) of the Day
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Video Game Fact(s) of the Day

Re:Where are the Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 13 years, 1 month ago #2213

Given that this appears to be my favourite thread, I was wondering what has happened to the facts since March 21?

Re:Where are the Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 13 years, 1 month ago #2222

Grr. It's fixed, I was moving my servers around (Archive has been in a testing phase and eating up a lot of resources). I also have some stuff coming up for MacScene v11 as we approach the five-hundredth day of MacScene v10. More stuff coming soon, sorry for the interruption in VGFotD service.
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by Niemann.

Re:Where are the Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 13 years, 1 month ago #2223

Haha, I knew I could smell Archive in the air. Great stuff, cheers for getting the facts back in action.

Re: June 1st Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 11 months ago #2295

This fact made me smile. Check out Jeff's current iOS games, they're pretty cool. I saw an interview/talk with him at R3play 2010, he's got to be one of the nicest blokes in the world of video games.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day June 24th 12 years, 10 months ago #2343

I'm not sure what to make of this fact, but unless Wikipedia.org's info is wrong, these were the stats for that machine upon debut:

Technical specifications
CPU: Zilog Z80A @ 3.58 MHz
Video processor: Texas Instruments TMS9928A
256×192 resolution
32 sprites
16 colors
Sound: Texas Instruments SN76489A
3 tone generators
1 noise generator
VRAM: 16 KB
RAM: 1 KB
Storage: Cartridge: 8/16/24/32 KB

Not that wiki couldn't indeed be wrong - that the VRAM is larger than RAM kinda seems off. But considering how large those 16K RAM modules for the Atari 800/800XL were (which were out around the same time), I can't see the CV having that much RAM, especially at a price point affordable by the public.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day June 24th 12 years, 10 months ago #2344

If you are talking about the Colecovision- the manual seems to agree with Wikipedia, on both fronts. (RAM and VRAM)

www.colecovisionzone.com/photos/coleco/colecovision%20tech1.pdf

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 10 months ago #2385

"The Apple Pippin by Macintosh was the worst selling console ever, selling less than 24 000 units and cost 600 $."

Are you kidding me? "by Macintosh" ... *shakes his head*

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2398

Have we run out of actual facts for the FOTD? The last two (7/22 and 7/23) are kind of....oddballs, to say the least. Or do you live on the east coast and are so baked that you can't think clearly?

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2399

Yesterday's was great. Especially the line "they are dead" because I love morbid humor and it took me off guard.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2403

Haha, those are great. I think it's a refreshing change of pace.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2407

I'm not saying they're bad. Was just wondering if somebody fell off their rocker or something.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2413

The VGFotD come from a variety of sources, and occasionally I try to be a bit more creative. I apologize for the lame ones.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2414

Who said they were lame. Now that I know it was tongue in cheek, I can appreciate them even more

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2415

And actually, if anyone wants to take a crack at writing some I'd be very happy to let you. The current VGFotD are queued up until August 12th, and I usually queue up a few months worth each time. I'm hoping the new system will debut sometime in the winter, so a couple months worth would be greatly appreciated.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2454

Since those weird wrong "facts" I don't know what to take serious and what not.
So they are basically worthless now, too bad. I always liked to read them.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2457

Which ones were 'wrong'?

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2462

well for example:

"Jul 22nd: During the early 1990s, Nintendo employees were obliged to let doctors remove the Sonic Hedgehog gene from chromosome 7 with chemical therapy. As consequence, many employee offsprings were born with green pigment and outsize tongue. They are inspiration for Yoshi. They are dead."

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2465

Looks like someone was born without a sense of humor gene.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2466

I have no problem with humor, but the problem here is that it says "facts" while there are some non-facts in between, so I have no clue if I should take i.e.

"Aug 8th: Mario was meant to look like an actual overweight, 5 o’clock-shadow-sporting plumber."

serious or if it's just another case of making fun.

Re:Video Game Fact(s) of the Day 12 years, 9 months ago #2469

I guess I'll add a disclaimer to the bottom of the Video Game Facts of the Day, "Please do not use any of these facts for any academic or professional purposes."

As for the August 8th comment, that was a near quote from Shigeru Miyamoto when he was asked about the evolution of Mario's appearance. I can probably find the exact reference in one of my two books about the guy. If additional citations are needed, let me know.

Time to create page: 0.26 seconds