Welcome, Guest
Parallels is haunting my computer...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Parallels is haunting my computer...

Parallels is haunting my computer... 7 years, 11 months ago #4201

Parallels downloaded itself automatically after I downloaded that Erok Mame frontend app at Macupdate.com, then after I deleted the app, Safari turned on & went to Parallels's website.

Re: Parallels is haunting my computer... 7 years, 11 months ago #4202

Sounds like bundleware, and not the nice type. Do you have a uri for the Erok Mame app? I'd like to flag it up to the AV companies for analysis.

Re: Parallels is haunting my computer... 7 years, 11 months ago #4203

Found it in the other thread The direct download from the website is clean... MacUpdate sends you to www.virustotal.com/en/url/6ead33df831845...analysis/1461789191/

I'm not sure who monetized that download; doesn't look like the original developer. If it was MacUpdate, shame on them; the desktop app bait and switch was bad enough; if they're foisting bundleware as well, that's not good.

Re: Parallels is haunting my computer... 7 years, 11 months ago #4206

_Em wrote:
Found it in the other thread The direct download from the website is clean... MacUpdate sends you to www.virustotal.com/en/url/6ead33df831845...analysis/1461789191/

I'm not sure who monetized that download; doesn't look like the original developer. If it was MacUpdate, shame on them; the desktop app bait and switch was bad enough; if they're foisting bundleware as well, that's not good.

MacUpdate hasn't been safe for years now. They're just as bad as CNET is. Adware/Malware is getting very very bad (and sophisticated) on OS X. I suggest keeping Malwarebytes handy to scan your computer from time to time. They do a good job of keeping definitions up to date.

Time to create page: 0.10 seconds