Welcome, Guest
Well...has anyone used...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Well...has anyone used...

Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 6 months ago #4091

El Capitan yet? Is it worth switching to, or should I wait until an update?

Re: Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 6 months ago #4093

I've updated both a 2007 iMac and a 2011 iMac and haven't noticed any issues.
Most of the software I use has been updated and works the same. (except for DefaultFolderX - not sure I want to pay that much for new version)

Overall, I don't really notice I'm running a different OS X version, but then again Yosemite worked flawlessly also.

Re: Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 6 months ago #4094

I notice no difference neither...except it took (emptied) the mail from my mail app.

Re: Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 6 months ago #4095

Thundar wrote:
I notice no difference neither...except it took (emptied) the mail from my mail app.

Mine did that too, but it's just rebuilding something internally. After a while all my mails were back, and I had almost none network traffic, so it didn't reload from the server.

I'm happy that VMWare Fusion 7 still works.

Also El Capitan looks much better than Yosemite, still needs some details refined though.

But I can't see any new features that I would use.

Re: Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 5 months ago #4122

I held off quite awhile on Yosemite, and even then some of my high-ticket apps broke or required additional effort. Thinking stuff like Cubase and possibly Adobe CS. And I've noticed a number of apps no longer retain open-file paths the way they used to, although that may have happened longer ago. So I'm still leery of ElCapitan... Anyone have any apps they HAVE had trouble with? I may try it on my new lappy as a test before updating my primary...

Re: Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 5 months ago #4127

Now that Apple does public betas, I'm less leery of jumping on the bandwagon within a week or so of official delivery. I've got a 2015 13" MBP and a 2015 15" MBP both running El Cap, including with Adobe CS 4 (!) with no problems (beyond the CS 4 issues that were introduced back with Lion).

The Mail issue just requires a manual rebuild of the mail database (select it from the menu) and all the mailboxes and items show back up the way they're supposed to be.

I've yet to have any issues with the new security model, including with compilers and emulators, other than homebrew, which now requires sudo to do its work. I was expecting OSXFUSE to fall over, but it still appears to be working.

As usual, check roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx to ensure there's not an app with a problem you can't do without. The new app sounds promising, but until then, check the table against what you've got installed.

Re: Well...has anyone used... 8 years, 4 months ago #4131

Old uTorrent client that was officially supported by the ::ahem:: private torrent site I used does not work. Other than that, I use El Capitan on 3 machines and have had no issues.

Unrelated side note: Parallels and Xbox One streaming using an xbox 360 controller works great on my Macs.

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds