Welcome, Guest
throttling, spying, whatever u call it...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: throttling, spying, whatever u call it...

throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 4 months ago #3826

If you can't d/l from a certain site...i.e. rom site that you had no problems with b4, does that mean the net provider is preventing you from that site?
Last Edit: 10 years, 4 months ago by Thundar.

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 4 months ago #3827

Not necessarily.

While your ISP could certainly be blocking your access to the site, they could be doing other things that don't explicitly block the site, but just make it look like they are. For example, they could have removed (or changed) that site's entry in their DNS records.

Or the site could legitimately be down.

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 4 months ago #3828

It does download but 260 megs or lower. Sometimes 5megs, sometimes 200, etc, etc.

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 4 months ago #3830

If you suspect your ISP is blocking the site via their DNS entries, you can switch to using Google DNS by changing your DNS servers in the Network prefpane to the following:

This will route your requests to Google's servers. You might even get a faster download. This is a commonly used tip for when I provide tech support for Blizzard's games.

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 4 months ago #3832

I don't think it's blocking them, I can still get in & get music videos, anything under 100 mg

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 4 months ago #3833

They could be throttling it, or the site throttles itself.

Try using a proxy. If it gets better then your ISP was throttling it. If it doesn't get any better (the proxy itself could just make things slower), at least you tried something.

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 3 months ago #3838

after downloading a few big files on my kindle and transferring them to my hard drive, it's safe to say that its not the throttling....bad news...could just be the modem dying.

Re: throttling, spying, whatever u call it... 10 years, 3 months ago #3839

Thundar wrote:
after downloading a few big files on my kindle and transferring them to my hard drive, it's safe to say that its not the throttling....bad news...could just be the modem dying.

Have you tried resetting your modem to factory defaults? Usually the internal address of the cable modem is 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.250.1. If you can get into your cable modem and there is a "restore to factory defaults" option, click it. It'll reboot a few seconds later and in effect give you the same results as a power cycle and will be free of any gibberish in its NVRAM.

Time to create page: 0.13 seconds