Welcome, Guest
Glider coming to iOS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Glider coming to iOS

Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2604

Touch Arcade has posted some info about John Calhoun's upcoming iOS version of Glider. Looks like he's having a go at making that "ultimate" Glider, afterall.

It's also cool to see we got a shout out in the article -- they linked to the interview I did with Calhoun last year.

Re:Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2609

I hear that Apple rejected it...

Re:Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2614

Richard Bannister wrote:
I hear that Apple rejected it...

If this is true it wouldn't surprise me. Apple's iOS policies are among the worst out there (not to say the Android Market is any better in reality). What I'd like to know is what "competition" Glider has. It's by the original author of the old Glider series, yet apple rejects it (assumption that this is indeed true).

I've learned one thing from Apple's iOS policies: They don't like ANY competition. None. How they manage to do what they do without getting an anti-trust suit thrown at them is beyond me. Actually, no it isn't. We live in a time and place where the government is basically putting big business over everybody else in favor of incoming lobbyist money. So consumer choice, freedom, and rights go down the drain. The middle eastern anti-American rhetoric does have one thing that is very likely to end up true: our capitalistic market greed may well be our own undoing if we don't manage it better from here on out.

I'm actually glad I didn't get an iPhone. The ease of use is nice, but the user limitations are just too much. I like control of my device, not having the device and/or its parent company control me.

Re:Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2615

It is true. Here's Calhoun's explanation (for those too lazy to click, it depicts an Apple product -- a Mac Plus -- within the application).

It's now available on the App Store, apparently unchanged thanks to a successful appeal.

Re:Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2617

All this because the ICON of a Mac Plus (it was effectively such) was in the artwork? One would think that Apple would be honored to have such depicted (and not in a bad way either) in an app for Apple's own devices. I think Apple seriously needs to step back and take a look in the mirror at what they've become, because frankly, they're losing a lot of loyal customers over their policies and behaviour in the last three years (especially the business/IT users which are emphatically telling their companies NOT to deploy any new Macs period until Lion has a disable setting for Autosave/Resumes/Versions, which patently causes automatic violation of many companies' internal NDAs).

I'm in the position of "I like Apple's products. I do not like Apple." I'm sure a lot of others are in the same boat too. Things need to change and soon.

Re: Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2627

I just bought it… It's quite fun… It feels like I'm playing Kirby's epic yarn…

Re: Glider coming to iOS 12 years, 6 months ago #2629

I've been playing around with it, too. Very true to the feel of the original. Controls translate beautifully to a touch screen interface. I'll aim to write something up next week, as an update to our Mac Classics Reborn feature(s) on Glider.

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds