Welcome, Guest
Older versions of Emulator Enhancer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer

Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 12 months ago #4473

Due to the impending closure of eSellerate existing versions of Emulator Enhancer will be withdrawn from sale on 30 June.

Please see my site for more details:

www.bannister.org/software/

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 12 months ago #4474

I was thinking about rebuilding my PowerMac with a fresh OS X install. If I did that, is there any way to backup the old Emulator Enhancer 2.x activation?

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 12 months ago #4475

I don't remember how v2 works and I don't have the code to hand. Were I in your position I'd do it before June 30th

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 11 months ago #4476

Guess that means I need to either find my email with the activation code or get it from eSellerate before that date so I can keep things running smoothly on my MacPro1,1, which I still use for MIDI and some emulators (since emulators like Atari800MacX are broken in 10.12 and later due to SDL 1.x no longer functioning).

Edit: Actually, I may have one of the older Kagi registrations and not eSellerate. How should I properly go about making sure I have the necessary files backed up or getting my actual username/code to copy and store?

Edit 2: Found my ooooooold email with the EE2 code. That's getting backed up ASAP. BTW, why is Mojave required for the newest releases now instead of 10.11.6? I know 10.11's Metal drivers were insanely buggy, to say the least, but I'm fairly certain Apple hasn't forced XCode minimum target beyond 10.11.6 yet. I know they will bump it up to 10.12 as the minimum soonish, due to the Metal driver bugs in 10.11 that I noted, but I can't see why Mojave is the minimum required, so I'm curious to learn why.

Oh, and eSellerate's email database appears to have been purged, at least for anyone that wasn't a recent purchaser. The eSellerate portal on the Digital River site appear to be for admin/company users only. The eSellerate store nets a 403 - Forbidden Access error. So it may already be too late for users that aren't packrats like me that didn't keep their registration email or lost it somehow.
Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by Squishy Tia.

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 11 months ago #4477

The Mojave requirement is because the OpenGL code fails in bizarre ways when built with Xcode on Mojave.

It compiles and runs but it does not work as expected (or indeed as it did) with previous versions of Xcode.

I've now built a Metal renderer to replace it (though right now there's no curvature, it's a regular display only). It could well work pre-Mojave, but I haven't tested it. It does require Metal capable hardware though.

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 11 months ago #4478

Thanks for answering that for me. If the renderer is Metal based, it should work at the very least from 10.12 on up no problem. 10.11's drivers were...buggy, to say the least and should be avoided by the end user at any cost anyway.

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 4 years, 9 months ago #4498

Just a reminder that June 30th is approaching.

I did a fresh install of OSX on my G5 (with an SSD too!) and couldn't get Emulator Enhancer registered by coping files from my old user profile over. I also searched the OS's Library folder for Emulator Enhancer files - no luck.

I had to get my old registration email, key in the registration number, get brought to a webpage listing some activation code, key that in to Emulation Enhancer, and all done.

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 3 years, 11 months ago #4547

Richard Bannister wrote:
The Mojave requirement is because the OpenGL code fails in bizarre ways when built with Xcode on Mojave.

It compiles and runs but it does not work as expected (or indeed as it did) with previous versions of Xcode.

I've now built a Metal renderer to replace it (though right now there's no curvature, it's a regular display only). It could well work pre-Mojave, but I haven't tested it. It does require Metal capable hardware though.

Can you confirm that quick defrosts work in SMS Plus?

I just saved a game in Sonic 2, tried to defrost and it crashed the emu (tried again a couple of times, same result).

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 3 years, 11 months ago #4549

jetboy wrote:

I just saved a game in Sonic 2, tried to defrost and it crashed the emu (tried again a couple of times, same result).

On my 10.14.6 machine both quick and regular defrosting crashes the program. Regular defrosting gives a divide by zero error, while quick defrosting gives a segmentation fault trying to access address 0x0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jetboy

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 3 years, 11 months ago #4553

Squirrel wrote:
jetboy wrote:

On my 10.14.6 machine both quick and regular defrosting crashes the program. Regular defrosting gives a divide by zero error, while quick defrosting gives a segmentation fault trying to access address 0x0.

Fixed for the next update. Looks like that has been broken since v3.0 and nobody noticed before now.

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 3 years, 11 months ago #4554

Richard Bannister wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
jetboy wrote:

Fixed for the next update. Looks like that has been broken since v3.0 and nobody noticed before now.

Thanks for the quick fix RB!

FWIW it surprises me how few SMS/GG emulators there are for the Mac today. Glad this option remains!

Side story:
I've recently recapped my Game Gear and have been introducing my son to all of my favourite games (we played through Aladdin today in Japanese which was super cute - he totally followed the game/story and didn't really think about the graphics being a bit oldschool). It's funny that the GG's becoming such a favourite for me because the Master System was always the console I despised (I wanted an MD but got a hand-me-down SMS instead). However, as a result I played way more SMS games than MD games so they're the ones I get the most nostalgia outta.

Were there any other handhelds that were essentially the same as TV consoles like the SMS/GG? I love the fact my GG is basically a portable SMS that doesn't need to be plugged into a screen...etc.

Having a GG in my drawer is pretty awesome because it means I can keep a retro console without it taking up much space. They're pretty easy to service too. I highly recommend that others get one if they're interested in owning a retro console coz they're (IMO) quite well built (very Japanese... the screws come off easily and everything fits into place quite neatly without me feeling like stuff's gonna break). Right now they're up to that 20-30 year mark where all the caps are starting to go so there's a lot of bargains to be had and once you've taught yourself how to fix them, you've got that skill for life.
Last Edit: 3 years, 11 months ago by jetboy.

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 3 years, 10 months ago #4561

TurboExpress was a TG-16 portable and used the exact same HuCards

Re: Older versions of Emulator Enhancer 3 years, 2 months ago #4592

Deleted.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by jetboy.

Time to create page: 0.18 seconds