Welcome, Guest
New OpenEmu UI
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New OpenEmu UI

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3127

I don't mind the concepts, but because they aren't done very well in Lion, they can be very...unpleasant to deal with. For instance the Resume function, which re-opens windows in an application the exact same way you left it, can be exacerbatingly aggressive in an app like Preview. I use Preview a lot to read PDFs and view images. On occasion I can open hundreds of files at a time. Now, in Lion, if I forget to close each and every window, guess what I get when I open up Preview the next time? Yep, hundreds of windows. And if you for some reason manage to block this feature (you can do so by locking a certain folder in /users/Library) and update the OS and forget to redo the locking of the folder, you get every single window of every single file you've ever opened with that app.

No offense Apple, but I like having actual control over my setups, thank you very much.

Autosave and Versions is actually one reason many companies are no longer deploying new Macs. Many tech companies and agencies with sensitive data have a zero-copy (other than specifically archived) policy/NDAs. Autosave and Versions cannot be turned off. This means that you get unwanted versions saved regardless of whether or not you're allowed to. As such, those companies cannot afford to put Lion in any aspect of their development environment, and thus, no longer deploy new Macs or update them past 10.6.x.

Versions is also somewhat of a PITA for writers that normally do their best to control revisions (usually by naming them in a specific way that Versions does not allow for). It's also a pain for anybody that codes, since it creates eleventy billion backup files of the eleventy billion project files used to create an app (and on an SSD where garbage collection can't kick in because of constant OS activity, that becomes a major problem once all NAND cells are written to and have to be erased and re-written to in order to accept new data, causing major slowdowns). I know very well this slowdown issue - World of Warcraft's patching method shuffles files around an insane amount of times, and I've had to reformat my SSD (zero all data), after copying the contents back to my HD several times because the NAND cells all got written to via patching/"optimizing" and my write speed slowed to <1MB/sec because of it.

Like I said, I don't mind the features of Lion per se. What I do mind is that I have no control over what the OS is doing with my files. Apple is more and more turning Mac OS into iOS, and sandboxing everything they possibly can in order to deprive the user of any semblance of control over their computer. That's the reason I refuse to get an iPhone and went with an Epic 4G for my cell phone. The lack of user control and UI clutter when many apps are installed just made me absolutely hate iOS, and because that's what Lion really is, an overblown iOS, I despise it too. There's a lot to be said for user control, and Lion has almost none. Hell I can't even get visible scroll bars back in Lion. I'm stuck with the iPhone's scroll bars, and on white/grey backgrounds they're not only hard to see, but damn near impossible to click without major fuss (they don't appear until you scroll the screen up or down (or side to side), which defeats the purpose of having a scroll bar in the first place!

No, Lion's awesome under the hood, but it's a piss poor excuse for a desktop OS in terms of user friendliness/control. And unless things change in that regard, this may be the last Mac I ever get. It's sad when Windows 7 has more user control than OS X. Very sad indeed.

FWIW I give Lion kudos for one thing - its graphics drivers absolutely blow Snow Leopard's out of the water, no contest at all. It's like night and day the differences in the two versions of OpenGL.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3129

I miss being able to edit an image in Preview (scale, rotate, etc) without having to unlock/duplicate it first. WTF is that about..

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3130

menace690 wrote:
I miss being able to edit an image in Preview (scale, rotate, etc) without having to unlock/duplicate it first. WTF is that about..

Welcome to Lion.

That's another issue with Versions and Autosave. I use a text document on my desktop to launch TextEdit and just cmd-A and backspace to empty it for a quick "what will this look like" or for use as a middle man when doing copy/paste/editing on a forum post. I can't do that in Lion without doing just what you just said - I have to duplicate the file, lock the original, and run the duplicate and trash the duplicate each and every time.

It's so stupid it's not even funny. I want to update to Lion so bad it hurts, but I just can't deal with the crap that can't be shut off. Microsoft got autosave done the right way. Apple got it done the exact opposite way and it's nothing but frustration in a bottle multiplied by every file you have to deal with it on.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3131

Well this thread got derailed quickly.

Anyway, I look forward to more OpenEmu 2 teasers and/or an open beta. And I hope that one day Richard Bannister may find time to work on his emulator ports (or contribute to OpenEmu).

<3 OpenEmu team and RB, you guys rock
Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by rented mule.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3132

I don't really use Preview all that much… I use Quick Look;

Resume can be turned off, I believe…

On the file locking, I just click unlock… Or, I handle a locked document like a "Readme" file (remember those?)…

I heard on a podcast that most of these features are easy to turn off… Just hidden from the view of newbies…

Anyway… Isn't this OpenEmu like MESS? What advantages does it offer? I tried it once, and could not get it to emulate an Apple II…

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3133

finkmac wrote:
Anyway… Isn't this OpenEmu like MESS? What advantages does it offer? I tried it once, and could not get it to emulate an Apple II…

Like MESS but without the mess.

MESS's goal of emulating anything and everything is, IMO, way too broad. The OpenEmu team seems to have a more focused goal of emulating consoles/handhelds which share more commonalities between one another than with PC and OSes.

I haven't played with MESS in a long time but I think another difference is that OpenEmu adopted a plugin approach. You can download and install the emulation cores that you want. This allows someone to pick the core that suits their needs. The best example currently is the snes9x core and bsnes core... given the choice, I will pick the one that is most accurate: bsnes... but someone with a slower computer may want to choose snes9x. I don't think MESS offers an option: you get what they give you.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 12 years, 1 month ago #3140

finkmac wrote:
I don't really use Preview all that much… I use Quick Look;

Resume can be turned off, I believe…

On the file locking, I just click unlock… Or, I handle a locked document like a "Readme" file (remember those?)…

I heard on a podcast that most of these features are easy to turn off… Just hidden from the view of newbies…

Turning off Resumes is easy. Problem is, if it ever gets turned back on (hint: it does if you apply a new OS update), every single file you ever opened with any specific app will re-open upon opening that app again if you fail to turn Resumes off beforehand.

Versions you can turn off as well I believe, but annoying to do so. Autosave you cannot turn off at all.

I can live with Versions. Resumes is "liveable" as long as I remember to shut it down after each OS update. It's the autosave behaviour that kills me. Because you can't turn it off, dealing with document editing in Lion is a bitch unless the app has a specific option to turn off autosave (very very few do).

Re: New OpenEmu UI 11 years, 6 months ago #3477

i wish they would actually show gameplay footage of games running on openemu. the user interface is very impressive, ill admit that but what it comes down to is the emulation quality. if i can see an n64 game running on this at full speed on a relatively moderate system, then ill be impressed.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 11 years, 6 months ago #3486

It uses existing emulators as plugins, so that would mostly depend on there being an N64 emulator that's capable of going at full speed (does the new Sixtyforce? I haven't tried it yet). The good part here is that they can add Windows-only emulators to the core if their engine code is separate from the UI code.

Re: New OpenEmu UI 11 years, 1 month ago #3696

mossy_11 wrote:
It uses existing emulators as plugins, so that would mostly depend on there being an N64 emulator that's capable of going at full speed (does the new Sixtyforce? I haven't tried it yet). The good part here is that they can add Windows-only emulators to the core if their engine code is separate from the UI code.

Since RetroArch and libretro uses a similar method, I wonder if libretro enabled cores will be workable or easily added to OpenEmu.

I swear I read something about connections between retroArch and OpenEmu but can't find the post anywhere now.

Edit: Found it here: forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31218.0

The OSX emulator OpenEmu can also run libretro implementations.
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Headrush69.

Time to create page: 0.20 seconds