Welcome, Guest
PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1586

You think this blurring is bad? I used to use an ATI Rage 128 VR Mac Edition. Its blurring was so bad that even at native resolution I couldn't even read FF7's text (via direct video input at that - no emulation!). I had to stick with the crappy 640x480 max input on my PM7500 because blocky though it was, it was clear. This blurring's annoying (and still headache inducing too), but not nearly as bad as it could be.

I still would love a blocky mode (unfiltered, but scaled video).

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1587

Wasn't that one of the video cards supported by CVGS? If so, you should have had no blur and super fast emulation. Its so strange to me that we still haven't truly caught up with that.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1588

Not really sure why the Mac version of the plugin is locked on bilinear filtering - the Windows version is blocky (nearest) mode. I think bilinear does nothing but degrade the image quality when applied to 2D graphics.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1598

menace690 wrote:
Wasn't that one of the video cards supported by CVGS? If so, you should have had no blur and super fast emulation. Its so strange to me that we still haven't truly caught up with that.

I think you misread my post. The VR 128 was one of the few 3D video cards with [b]video input[/i] capability for the Mac (or PC at the time). When using the video input (s-video), what would normally be blocky became so blurry that text was unreadable and fine detail was nothing more than a pipe dream. That was why I had to switch from the VR 128 back to the 7500's own video input, despite the fact that the 7500 maxed out at 640x480 and the monitor's native resolution (CRT) was 1024x768.

There are times when blocky is much, much preferred to blurred. FFVIII is one of those times. The greyish-white text on a charcoal grey background does not make for easy readin when blurred. Unfortunately, instead of simple scaling, there was filtering going on at the video input on the VR 128, and very primitive filtering at that. I paid $300 for that card, and the only time I ever used it was when I needed to play a 3D mac game such as UT99. Other than that the card went to waste collecting dustballs inside the 7500. The sad part was that the PC version supported a higher scaling resolution, and didn't have the blur problems. In fact, the PC counterpart's composite (RCA) video was more clear and crisp than the Mac version's s-video! How's that for irony?

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1602

But 640x480 WAS the PSX max resolution, so anything higher would have been upscaled at 1024x768

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1603

Yes, but upscaled from native resolution is almost always crisper and better looking than downscaled from native resolution (the monitor would have to go lower resolution, and while on a CRT it isn't nearly as bad as an LCD...well, you get the picture). The point still stands that the scaler on the VR128 sucked, while the PC version did not and produced crisp, clean video upscaled from 640x480.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1604

Strange. I had a ATI Rage Pro 128 (I think thats what it was called) with my 8600 using the built in video in and everything looked great.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1605

You couldn't use the built in video if you had a PCI graphics card installed. The sheer amount of data being shunted across the PCI bus bridge brought video to about 4 FPS. That's why it was "either/or". The only way you could use the video card for games and use the built in video for video input simultaneously is if you had a monitor with dual inputs, which I neither had nor could afford at the time.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1606

I just started playing around with this app. Awesome. I can't seem to get music on the app though. Is there a different sound plugin or something? I also tried ZeroPSX Hybrid. Couldn't seem to get that to work well at all. Requires you to install a few extras.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1624

I am using the latest build of PCSX reloaded from the Code Plex site. I am having an issue where when I beat the last character in Tekken 3 (Ogre 2) it will work great and play the appropriate cut-scene and then when it tries to save back to the memory card that I beat the game the screen just goes black and nothing happens. This is a real pain because it prevents me from unlocking any new characters.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is Tekken 3 saving for anyone else properly when they beat ogre 2?

Any feedback or guidance is appreciated.

I am running this on a new mac mini with the latest version of macos x.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1625

How are you guys building the latest changesets? Until recently I've always used the included Xcode project file, but at some point I started getting errors and the build always fails. I haven't changed anything in my system. This is what I get in Xcode:

"_gpuInterrupt", referenced from:

_psxBranchTest in r3000a.o

"_gpuReadStatus", referenced from:

_psxHwRead32 in psxhw.o

"_psxDma2", referenced from:

_psxHwWrite32 in psxhw.o

ld: symbol(s) not found

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1626

I've been having trouble building the last few change sets, but I wasn't sure whether I was the only one. I'll get in touch with the the people at PCSX-Reloaded to see if they know about this.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1628

Tanner Ellen wrote:
I am using the latest build of PCSX reloaded from the Code Plex site. I am having an issue where when I beat the last character in Tekken 3 (Ogre 2) it will work great and play the appropriate cut-scene and then when it tries to save back to the memory card that I beat the game the screen just goes black and nothing happens. This is a real pain because it prevents me from unlocking any new characters.

Simple answer: Tekken 3 plays the Staff Roll which is accompanied by CD Audio. Are you playing from the original CD? Disabling CDDA might help.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1631

I am playing off of an ISO image that I downloaded. I do have the original CD somewhere but it is packed away and would be a pain to try and find it. The soundtrack plays fine during gameplay though.

How do you disable CDDA in PCSX? I see an option under the Emulation tab to check the "No CD audio" or "No XA audio". Is it one of those?

Thanks for your help.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1632

The good folks at PCSX-Reloaded let me know that adding gpu.c to the xcodeproj would solve the build problems, and it certainly does! I'll put up a new build in a few minutes.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1634

Maybe it's just because I'm not doing it properly, but when I try to add it, I get even more build errors than before (over 150, as opposed to the 3 I got previously). Can you specify exactly how you did it?

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1636

HDL wrote:
Maybe it's just because I'm not doing it properly, but when I try to add it, I get even more build errors than before (over 150, as opposed to the 3 I got previously). Can you specify exactly how you did it?

Here's a little screen recording of how I did it: http://speedofmac.com/movies/Building_PCSX-Reloaded.mov

Hope this helps!
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by ConsoleEmu. Reason: Added video link

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1640

Wow, looks I was doing it correctly, but adding the wrong files. Did you know that there are three different "gpu.c" files? I only found two, and when I added them (individually, and together) I got the build errors.

Thanks for showing me that there was a 3rd one, it worked fine.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1641

Three different files with the same name...

I'm surprised the person(s) responsible for maintaining the source code haven't run into their own snags with that kind of setup.

Re:PCSX-Reloaded for Intel Macs 13 years, 7 months ago #1642

Tanner Ellen wrote:
How do you disable CDDA in PCSX? I see an option under the Emulation tab to check the "No CD audio" or "No XA audio". Is it one of those?

Thanks for your help.

Yup. Checking "No CD Audio" should do the trick.
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by pizuz.

Time to create page: 0.25 seconds