Welcome, Guest
SNES
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: SNES

Re:SNES 12 years, 7 months ago #2463

Nice article about emulation accuracy i.e. bsnes from the author of bsnes
arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/accu...ct-snes-emulator.ars

Re:SNES 12 years, 7 months ago #2464

Props to byuu on an excellent article. It's great to see such a large audience (Ars has hundreds of thousands of regular readers) latching on to the discussion about accuracy in emulation.

Also, if you're interested in the topic, make sure you read through the comments -- byuu and a few others go into great detail expanding the discussion.

Re:SNES 12 years, 7 months ago #2467

Saw it on Slashdot. Excellent article.

Re:SNES 12 years, 7 months ago #2471

yeah it was good

Re:SNES 12 years, 7 months ago #2473

Wow. That's a very interesting read. It shows just how complex (in layman's terms anyway) creating an emulator that actually works properly can really be.

Had I known things like this a few years back I'd have been almost completely unlikely to go "yo, this game's got a problem in X spot where I can't do Y action to get to Z area" (Castlevania for the GBA for example, one of the titles has a screen where you must move boxes around to create stepping stones/open passage space, but one box won't move at all even though it's supposed to). I bugged Richard Bannister about that (this was before he had his notice on the pages that Boycott won't get bugfixes for things like this until/unless it is no longer commercially available), and was shined off (for good reasons which thanks to this article I now understand).

I think this article should be a permanent fixture on emulator sites and for those who make them, so they can refer to it as a "go here to read why this emulator requires X GHz power or may have issues with some games". I really, really wish I'd have had this article ten years ago. The more you understand why something is, the less likely you are (hopefully) to harp on some nagging issue that either isn't feasibly fixed with your hardware level, or just can't be done in any viable manner at that point in time without destroying the playability of the game/emulator.

Re:SNES 12 years, 7 months ago #2475

I wish the noobs on the desmume forum read this…

Re: SNES 12 years, 1 month ago #3172

First of all sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm not sure if my question deserves an new topic.

Anybody know why there hasn't been a new Mac version of bsnes on Richard's website? Has he lost interest in emulation?
After checking byuu's site it seems to me that there has been a lot of progress between 0.68 and 0.86.

Re: SNES 12 years, 1 month ago #3175

Mungo wrote:
First of all sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm not sure if my question deserves an new topic.

Anybody know why there hasn't been a new Mac version of bsnes on Richard's website? Has he lost interest in emulation?
After checking byuu's site it seems to me that there has been a lot of progress between 0.68 and 0.86.

The non-Mac ports make use of the new C++0x compiler, and as such currently has no method of being compiled in OS X, let alone with OS X as the target compile. Until that changes, BSNES will remain at its current version. And since 99% of the games run flawlessly with the current BSNES, I'm not inclined to complain about something RB can't do anything about just yet.

It'll get here when it gets here. If there's that much of a dying need for the latest and greatest BSNES, you could boot into Windows (if you have a copy installed on you Mac's HD/SSD) and play it there. Me personally, I'm happy with sticking with my favorite OS and not worrying about something that may or may not enhance my experience.

My only wish for BSNES would be parity on the "open special", which would allow the BS ROM series to run, but that's like 0.1% of all the available ROMs out there for me to have any gripes with (and I have alternatives if I'm that desparate).

So in a nutshell, when the tools to compile the updates are available and Richard has the time, we'll see an update. Until then, instead of worrying about the differences in the ports, just worry about whether or not your reflexes will stave off death for another few seconds in whatever game you're currently enjoying.

Re: SNES 12 years, 1 month ago #3177

Thank you! I didn't mean to complain, but I was curious as to why there weren't any updates lately.

As for Bootcamp, this is not that big of an issue that I would want to waste precious hard disk space on a Windows partition.

Re: SNES 12 years, 1 month ago #3184

Mungo wrote:
Anybody know why there hasn't been a new Mac version of bsnes on Richard's website? Has he lost interest in emulation? After checking byuu's site it seems to me that there has been a lot of progress between 0.68 and 0.86.

In the case of BSNES the compiler is the issue.

gcc 4.4 and later are licensed under GPLv3, which Apple (and many other companies) are not prepared to go near. Unfortunately this license is now holding back the adoption of open source software. Apple is gradually switching over to LLVM/Clang which has a far more permissive licensing scheme.

llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#license

Re: SNES 12 years ago #3196

Thanks for clearing that up, Richard.

Time to create page: 0.18 seconds