Welcome, Guest
11 arcade games that haven't been emulated
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated

11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3959

Just to show I'm still alive, I found this one interesting...

---

Even with the minor arcade resurgence going on these days, the prolonged decline of the American arcade means that there's a whole generation of people who have had little opportunity to play any of the thousands of coin-operated games in their native cabinets. Even those who remember the ‘70s and ‘80s golden age of arcades probably only had the opportunity to sample a relative handful of games that were available at their local haunts.

For people who want to preserve this disappearing bit of gaming history, or experience cabinets they never had access to, Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (MAME) is a godsend. It is one of the most ambitious emulation projects ever, encompassing tens of thousands of games with highly varied hardware, programming, and controls. Legal issues aside, MAME ensures that future generations will at least be able to play and study these games without having to track down an aging cabinet or circuit board.

arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/unemulate...u-cant-play-at-home/

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3961

Yeah, MAME is a wonderful project. And hopefully it will one day get every arcade game under the sun.

It's sad to think about the game systems that are being lost entirely to the ages, though. I did a feature (the print/iPad/Zinio version has four boxouts that are missing from this online version) for Edge earlier this year on some of the people trying to keep alive the consoles that the world would sooner forget.

I found dudes doing their best to hold the candle for the NUON, Jaguar, LaserActive, and more, but it looks like the NUON and its games will still disappear entirely because pretty much nobody cares or knows about them — even though there's this storied history that's fascinating once you dig into it. (And on that note, I wish someone would write a Pippin emulator.)

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3963

The Pippin is really just a Mac. There are reports of being able to load the correct system files onto a real Mac and get the games working. I'm curious if this method would work with a PPC emulator then. Sheepshaver etc. Going to experiment if I can find the necessary files.

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3964

Found the SDK with a system file... now if I could only get Sheepshaver to work on Yosemite...

So many broken things on newest Yosemite update...

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3965

A few of the Emaculation guys have tried before. It seems that you can get some Pippin games to run in Sheepshaver, but not all. (I think I read somewhere it's because Sheepshaver doesn't emulate the MMU, but can't remember for sure.)

www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5151
www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7083

Hopefully someone will crack that nut and get all Pippin software working soon.

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3966

Have any software to try? Having some difficulty with that part too apparently. Got a few Mavericks macs at home that seem to run sheep shaver, but realized I've got nothing to test with. Especially something now known to be working.

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3967

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 7 months ago #3968

Interesting. I'll have to try that this weekend.

For software, Mac Garden has Tunin' Glue and maybe some other stuff.

Also check www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/index.php?fo...Apple/Pippin/Various

And there's a huge 19GB CHD archive of Pippin software available via the Internet Archive Software Collection: archive.org/details/MESS_0.149_CHD_pippin

Re: 11 arcade games that haven't been emulated 9 years, 2 months ago #4023

Does Pippin work fully in MESS yet?
Meanwhile, I can assure you that SheepShaver runs fine under 10.10; you just need to run it in 32-bit mode. Meanwhile, it might also be possible to run Classic PPC under QEmu soon/now. The issue is indeed the MMU.

Also, the Pippin uses System 7.5.2 with a modified Finder and the Pippin System Enabler extension. As such, most games should run on SheepShaver under 7.5.3.

Time to create page: 0.15 seconds