Welcome, Guest
just a thought...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: just a thought...

just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3906

Niemann should have a staff on here, helping in updates & stuff.

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3907

If by updates you're referring to emulation news, I have a half-written roundup for the past two months that I'll be finishing and posting this weekend. We (Niemann, myself, and others) would love it if somebody wants to volunteer to help out with keeping the emulator database fresh and with posting articles/news on the front page.

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3911

Is the site content from the old Macscene design available? I'm thinking of, for example, the Retro Game of the Week series. Which was most wonderful!

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3912

Retro Game of the Week - macscene.net/home/features/news-archives...tro-game-of-the-week
Mac Classics Reborn - macscene.net/home/features/news-archives.../mac-classics-reborn

If someone would like to write a new entry for either of these, do let me know. I'd be happy to give you some guidance and a professional edit. As for me doing new entries, it's unlikely to happen — although there's an extent to which the From The Archive series on Archive.vg is a continuation of Retro Game of the Week.

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3913

Mossy and others have been very helpful, and unfortunately my focus has been on other projects. I do hope to find some free time in the future to revitalize this site, perhaps through a deep partnership with Archive. Anyone whos interested in writing and posting, just shoot me an email.
Last Edit: 10 years, 1 month ago by Niemann.

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3914

Database connection error (2): Could not connect to MySQL.
I take it Archive.vg is down....

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3915

This is a frequent problem. I've had to scale down the hosting infrastructure to keep it affordable. There are a couple apps that hit the API very hard. The current incarnation of the site was not deployed very well and has not been maintained since right about the same time we launched Archive.vg many of us were just starting new jobs elsewhere.

Now Im done with the excuses and aggressively working on a new platform.

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3916

It is kinda sad how much activity here has slowed in the past 5 years, but I do commend the admins for keeping the site up. I'd imagine we're all in that place of moving on with professional and personal lives when a lot of our old activity was in/around college. That, and this place was a springboard for other side-projects which have all individually taken off and pulled us away. I may have some RGotWs left in me, but at this point each one done well would take half a weekend away from my own big side project.

I think the open-door policy has always applied: if you want more content, feel free to sign up to gather/write/post it

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3919

I'm not complaining..ever since OpenEmu came out Ive had loads of fun on it & it has a updater on it, so I'm pretty set on emulation.

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3920

Always nice to see new blood I remember when I went through this with emulation.net and Niemann stepped up to carry on the torch

Every time around, we seem to get a bit further, too!

Re: just a thought... 10 years, 1 month ago #3921

I've wanted to write a Retro Game of the Week for the last three years. But things keep coming up... and it's hard enough to keep my own site up-to-date.

One of these days you'll all know what I really think about Cap'n Magneto or Deep Angst or Donald Duck's Playground...
Last Edit: 10 years, 1 month ago by WatchSmart.

Re: just a thought... 10 years ago #3936

Ah... we should do a group retrospective on Cap'n Magneto... However, I spent more time playing Theldrow I think.
Last Edit: 10 years ago by _Em. Reason: add link

Time to create page: 0.16 seconds