Welcome, Guest
Polls
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Polls

Re:Polls 13 years, 4 months ago #1969

The franchises listed are the top twelve video game franchises. The only exception is Gran Turismo was swapped out for Legend of Zelda, since there is a bit of debate over the 'extra versions' of these games (games produced by other companies based on the original plot). For instance the infamous CD-i Zelda series (hardly relevant to overall sales numbers, but just an example).

The poll parallels the current Video Game Fact of the Week, which for the next month or so will be covering the top selling franchises. We started with Mario, Pokemon, Tetris, etc.

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2101

Ha! Computer science? That would have been nice, the closest thing we got to that was word processing and spreadsheets.

I'm 'other' purely on the basis that my favourites were threefold: music, literature and history. They were the three things that actually got me out of bed in the mornings and the three things I stuck with right up to university. All in all though, my favourite subject at school was called 'lunchtime', it usually came in the middle of the day and lasted about an hour a session. All of my friends were in that class too

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2103

dickmedd wrote:
Ha! Computer science? That would have been nice, the closest thing we got to that was word processing and spreadsheets.

I'm 'other' purely on the basis that my favourites were threefold: music, literature and history. They were the three things that actually got me out of bed in the mornings and the three things I stuck with right up to university. All in all though, my favourite subject at school was called 'lunchtime', it usually came in the middle of the day and lasted about an hour a session. All of my friends were in that class too

Thanks for that story

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2105

Yeah come on here ppl where is the Art Class? Going to art school for design I feel left out. All the tech stuff was self learned.

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2106

Added.

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2107

voted (re-voted, actually...)- didn't see an Art wedge on the pie...?

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2110

Same here I voted other before.

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2111

I voted Other:

Despite loving the sciences and math, (and pursuing degrees in CS) I chose Other. My favorite classes were the ones most schools are doing away with. The practical classes. Wood shop, Metal Shop, Industrial Design, Electronics, hell even Home Economics. Through these courses, I learned the WHY and HOW. I learned how to learn. I learned to question the fundamentals. I'm sure not everyone took out what I did, but one question from my wood teacher who walked into my electronics class really has stuck with me my adult life. I built a robot and that traced a line and could follow a path. I was just soldering parts on a board. He asked ok you can build it, but WHY does it work. I couldn't explain it. It made me WANT to know why. Its teachers like these that make a difference. Combine all that with the fact that I can actually fix things that are wrong with my house and save enough for a new iPhone every time I don't need to call a plumber or electrician, well, this was an easy vote for me. I really feel its an injustice to our upcoming generations that these classes are being cut in order to make sure every student passes standardized tests. Everyone should get the opportunity to do what they excel at, and for many people, that is working with their hands.

Re:Polls 13 years, 2 months ago #2112

jetboy wrote:
Thanks for that story

You're quite welcome.

menace690 wrote:
I voted Other:

Despite loving the sciences and math, (and pursuing degrees in CS) I chose Other. My favorite classes were the ones most schools are doing away with. The practical classes. Wood shop, Metal Shop, Industrial Design, Electronics, hell even Home Economics. Through these courses, I learned the WHY and HOW. I learned how to learn. I learned to question the fundamentals. I'm sure not everyone took out what I did, but one question from my wood teacher who walked into my electronics class really has stuck with me my adult life. I built a robot and that traced a line and could follow a path. I was just soldering parts on a board. He asked ok you can build it, but WHY does it work. I couldn't explain it. It made me WANT to know why. Its teachers like these that make a difference. Combine all that with the fact that I can actually fix things that are wrong with my house and save enough for a new iPhone every time I don't need to call a plumber or electrician, well, this was an easy vote for me. I really feel its an injustice to our upcoming generations that these classes are being cut in order to make sure every student passes standardized tests. Everyone should get the opportunity to do what they excel at, and for many people, that is working with their hands.

Very insightful. Being such a formative part of a young person's life, I think that opportunity and choice are things that have to be embraced those responsible for education. More and more, restriction was something coming into play back at my school and this did nothing but fan the flames of apathy in young people who couldn't decide what it was they wanted to do. Indeed in some cases it was possibly stopping them finding out what they were meant to do. There are still people I think of who could have done so much more.

Time to create page: 0.17 seconds