Welcome, Guest
Polls
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Polls

Re:Polls 13 years, 9 months ago #1083

I also have large hands and very much enjoy the Xbox 360 controller.

Re:Polls 13 years, 9 months ago #1084

My choice would have been the DC controller, had it been on the list. Always really liked how it felt for some reason.

Re:Polls 13 years, 9 months ago #1085

I chose Xbox 360, but my next pick would've been PS2.

Re:Polls 13 years, 9 months ago #1096

vitaflo wrote:
My choice would have been the DC controller, had it been on the list. Always really liked how it felt for some reason.

I voted N64 but am a big fan of the DC controller. I like the fact that both have optional accessories and have control layouts that people might not be used to anymore (although compare the DC layout to the PSP layout, they feel similar to me).

I do quite like the form factor of the 360 controller and I use it for all my Mac emulators, wireless technology is such a convenience!
Last Edit: 13 years, 9 months ago by dickmedd.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1456

Anybody have any decent ideas for polls?

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1528

I didn't know that so many of our members were professional programmers. That was an interesting fact.

To answer Niemanns' question... How about something about 3D movies coming out? It seems like it's starting to become pretty popular Either "Do you like them?" or "What do you think about RealD 3D?" Personally, I like it, but I want to watch 2D sometimes.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1532

OH OH here's my vote: No, annoying (paying more) adding no value. I'm a huge Pixar fan and I went with Toy Story 3 2d. The magic is the story and what we are seeing on screen I don't need a trick to make me like a movie. Wow...I ranted there well the same goes for my gaming darn it!

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1534

I'm blind and deaf on one side. 3D means jack all to me.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1535

jack59splat59 wrote:
I didn't know that so many of our members were professional programmers. That was an interesting fact.

Honestly, I'm not entirely surprised. Some of the conversations here have gone quite in depth.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1536

menace690 wrote:
jack59splat59 wrote:

Honestly, I'm not entirely surprised. Some of the conversations here have gone quite in depth.

Yeah, we're a technically adept bunch. And it makes a lot of sense given the discussion that goes on here.

I voted "professional" even though I'm not technically one, since I'm pretty much programming full-time at uni now (and at a fairly high decent level of proficiency, too, what with it being 300-level stuff).
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by mossy_11.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1538

mossy_11 wrote:
menace690 wrote:
jack59splat59 wrote:

Yeah, we're a technically adept bunch. And it makes a lot of sense given the discussion that goes on here.

I voted "professional" even though I'm not technically one, since I'm pretty much programming full-time at uni now (and at a fairly high decent level of proficiency, too, what with it being 300-level stuff).

Ahh to be so naive. Hehehe, just playing, I'm 4 years out of Uni with a Master's Degree working full time as a programmer/IT Manager and doing web backend development on the side.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1539

menace690 wrote:
Ahh to be so naive. Hehehe, just playing, I'm 4 years out of Uni with a Master's Degree working full time as a programmer/IT Manager and doing web backend development on the side.

I thought you might say that (), which is why I put the strikethrough on "fairly high" and replaced it with "decent." (And I'm sure even that might be an overstatement to some professional developers.)

There's a big scary world of programming and IT beyond what you learn in an undergraduate degree, and I'm well aware of the fact.

How was your transition from uni to full-time work? We had a graduate from last year talk to us a week ago, and he seemed to have gone rapidly from entry-level grunt to being the sole developer on a small(ish) project for his company.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1540

For me it was actually a pretty easy transition. I had started working as a part time low level tech during school and early on found they needed some extra programming done. I played in my free time and got the entry level programming out of the way while still in school. When I got my Bachelor's they hired me as a full time developer and paid for my Master's. I worked full time while taking 18 credits. That was a bit rough, but now I can mostly coast. I work as an in house developer for a manufacturing company. We developed a full CRM suite from scratch. (even sold it to a couple vendors)

The biggest hurdle is realizing that you may be taught best practices in college, but lots of your predecessors either weren't or didn't care. You will find lots of garbage code that you literally will spend hours just figuring out what it does before you can make any changes. And as much as you like to rewrite it properly, you won't ever have the opportunity, so you will end up adding to the bad code. Honestly, looking at my group partners code in college was a nightmare, but imagine the same code in a production environment with 100k+ lines of code over 400 files.

And then,of course, looking back at the stuff I wrote just out of college, I am almost ashamed. I used "best practices," but didn't know what I didn't know. I ended up writing code that I could have used libraries for, and reinventing the wheel, and using the wrong tool for the job, etc.

All in all, the more practice you get, the better you get.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1541

I also voted "professional" because that's how I earn my money. But sometimes I don't write a single line for weeks because of much research, finishing up projects or inheriting those from others.
Also I have to admit that I still haven't done anything that could count as Mac programming, which is a bit of a shame. But when I get home I often don't have the drive to do anything "productive" on the Mac.

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1574

we're all a dang buncha nerds

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1575

seanstar wrote:
we're all a dang buncha nerds

And that's the way we likes it! Now get off my lawn!

Re:Polls 13 years, 7 months ago #1576

No U! <opens up a can of bloodmeal and tosses it onto Squirrel>

Re:Polls 13 years, 6 months ago #1577

I'm actually working with 3D screens at my day job. There are already models that don't require glasses, and are far larger than the 3DS. That branch of the tech, however, is sensitive enough to position and distance that it's unsurprising that mobile devices (there are also 3D phones in Japan, I believe...) are the first real consumer applications.
For my 2 cents, I'll probably wait until 2nd or 3rd gen once all the standards currently in the pipeline are fully released and agreed to, and once more companies and channels know how to do 'good' 3D content (much of the headachiness and crap that goes on with current systems is purely in the content, making your eyes angle themselves in unnatural ways because programmers and filmmakers don't quite know how to set the cameras/views to natural distances/angles) but that's more out of pragmatism in the investment than anticipation that the hardware itself will become more or less worth having from an experience standpoint.

Re:Polls 13 years, 6 months ago #1581

I wonder what the 3D TVs will look like to me once they don't require glasses, seeing as I have one eye. I've trained myself to see distances via light, shadow, and color. It'd be interesting if 3D TVs screwed with me.

Re:Polls 13 years, 6 months ago #1583

Honestly, that's an issue we're talking about in figuring out what our market even looks like. I will say you're likely to get more out of autostereo than glasses. Glasses and the current mobile screens will give strictly 2 views and put the human brain between them to do the 3D work. They shouldn't screw with you any more than a regular 2D screen, but they won't offer anything more either. Large modern lenticular and parallax barrier screens will show different content in up to ~9 different directions, for a certain amount of "look-around" capacity in addition to stereoscopic depth-cue. Proper holographic light-field displays (still in their infancy; google Holografika) can show 25 to 100+ distinct angles at once without sacrificing resolution... the only trouble being they're still natively relatively low-res, and the last one I saw took up a ~4'x7'x2' standing wall and was driven by 12 high-end NVIDIA GPUs running in parallel...

Time to create page: 0.27 seconds