Welcome, Guest
Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 8 months ago #1209

Zany Golf is also available on the Sega Genesis by Electronic Arts.
Did you know:
The first wave of early EA games were not licensed by Sega Of America and when Sega got smart and added a protection chip into there systems many of those games did not work.

Some like:
Zany Golf
Populous
Tony LaRussa Baseball
Star Control

All becasue Nintendo had a seal of approval for functioning games. Sega went the extra step.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 8 months ago #1210

DJ Hot Wheel wrote:
Zany Golf is also available on the Sega Genesis by Electronic Arts.
Did you know:
The first wave of early EA games were not licensed by Sega Of America and when Sega got smart and added a protection chip into there systems many of those games did not work.

Some like:
Zany Golf
Populous
Tony LaRussa Baseball
Star Control

All becasue Nintendo had a seal of approval for functioning games. Sega went the extra step.

Interesting! Nope... never knew.
That said, I've played the Mega Drive version... personally prefer the Amiga version (don't know why) great game in my opinion!

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 8 months ago #1218

^^ That was an interesting fact. I didn't know that.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 8 months ago #1268

Is there a condensed list of who has volunteered/posted articles? The longer this goes, the more valuable that will get, so it might be worth starting now.
I'm personally contemplating doing up the F-Zero series and/or the WonderSwan (is hardware eligible?) next time I'm motivated.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 8 months ago #1271

Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me. I'm going to create a separate forum thread for that. Note that you can also check the previous articles by looking up the RGotW category, which is accessible from the article headers..

Hardware is okay, but it would be preferable to focus on one game or game series at a time. I think an article about an entire platform is better suited to being a separate thing, since there is so much to cover. That said, I can see how a WonderSwan piece might be a suitable change of pace for the feature, so I would be interested to see your angle. Either way, if you submit something gaming or Apple-related that has even the slightest bit of value, I'd find a way to put it on the front page.

So, short answer: within the scope of this particular feature, a RGotW article about hardware might be suitable, depending on your angle. And if you want to write about the WonderSwan, go for it - I'll publish it.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 8 months ago #1274

I think an occasional hardware article alongside a game article - perhaps monthly rather than weekly - would be a good addition to the feature. It might open people up to worlds they've never experienced before and I'd personally like to see a Wonderswan article!

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 7 months ago #1546

I'd be willing to write something for Conker's Bad Fur Day. Not quite sure when, but perhaps soon.

By the way, while reading one of the articles I found a 404:

"If you are interested in writing or contributing to a future Retro Game of the Week, please see here, or declare you interest on the forums."

Newer articles seem to have an updated link, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 7 months ago #1551

Yeah, I'm aware of that error. I think I tried to fix it but couldn't access the article for some mysterious reason and then forgot.

We're pretty much set for the next 3 weeks, but there's nothing confirmed after that. Send me a message when you're ready to go.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 5 months ago #1704

I'm thinking that from here on out this will be a fortnightly (every 2 weeks) feature.

Why? I would prefer to use the time I can dedicate to the site on producing more varied content -- especially features -- and feel that reducing the frequency of the RGotW posts will enable me to get a better mix of stuff on the front page. It is also difficult to manage, with the volunteer writers each having their own lives to attend to, and me never knowing what's coming up more than a few posts down the line, which means that I need to have one of my own entries always on stand-by.

Having said all that, I'm looking for volunteers for future entries. The next one will be due in two weeks, so there's plenty of time. I'd love it if we could get a backlog of them queued up until the end of the year.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 3 months ago #1957

Just a quick note to say that if I'm not overly busy throughout the Christmas period I'll have another crack at an article. I'm thinking a PS1 title, either Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve, Syphon Filter or (if I'm feeling brave) FFIX. If anyone else is a particularly big fan of any of these games and feel they should be writing the articles just shout. I've not played any of them fully for a while so would be playing through as I write!

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 3 months ago #1971

Scratch the above post, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get an article done around the Christmas period but definitely early on next year. Oh and It'll be on Snatcher (the Mega-CD port).

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 13 years, 3 months ago #1972

Alright man. Hit me up when you're ready to go.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2241

Dangit, that's right! RGotW posts! Saw the site update thread, but since my own PHP and database skill are, however passable, completely self-taught, you probably don't want me on site code. I have, however, continued interspersing my newer-game queue with classics. I'm going to be busy/away for the next couple weeks, but pending a reminder thereafter, I could see writing up Blaster Master, Guardian Legend, and/or possibly Link's Awakening or Comix Zone. Heck, in the right mood I've got a decent rant I could write on the game that in some sense could be referred to as Sonic 2CD3&K with tangents to GG Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2242

Comix Zone! That would be awesome, such an enjoyable game. I haven't forgotten about Snatcher by the way, as soon as I've moved into my new place around mid-June I intend to get on with it, Blade Runner fans will love it!

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2243

Sean if you don't want to do BM I'll happily do it I was going to suggest it as my next article to Mossy but if you want to I'd love to see someone elses take on the 3 games I know of in the series!! I love those games and am currently playing the new one on WiiWare and Enemy Below on the GB.
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by Pixelcade.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2244

I've only played the original so far, so if you want to preempt me with a compare-and-contrast, go ahead

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2245

I'll try to remember to hassle you guys about writing posts on these games.

BTW, sorry about missing this/last week's RGotW. I forgot I was meant to be writing it, and I've got priorities elsewhere for the rest of the week. (Service will resume as normal -- with fortnightly entries -- next week, though.)

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2246

I still owe you my article on the 14th you'll have it in time. Fear not people weird obscure games from the past will be coming your way this week!

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 11 months ago #2256

As of last night, I may also be inspired to write something on Shinobi III. And it may even be crazy.

Re:Retro Game of the Week suggestions/feedback thread 12 years, 8 months ago #2401

Since I'm trying to become more active on MacScene again, I'd like to do another article in the upcoming weeks.

Time to create page: 0.21 seconds